Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dandelion Me Teaser!

Here is my New Years treat to you all.... Just a little teaser for Dandelion Me! Enjoy! Cannot wait to hear what you all think! Please keep in mind this is unedited and is subject to change.
<3 Ashley
**************************************
Prologue
Dear Luke,
Tomorrow is the big day.  This is the last time I will walk through this house.  I will stand in the bedroom and remember our late night talks, good night kisses and the last time I will ever hear the squeaking of the floor beneath the carpet.    In the kitchen I will remember the laughter we shared over supper, the sunshine, and bowls of brownie batter.  How the breeze drifted just right through the kitchen window with the calming smell of fresh cut grass.  Today is the last day I will ever look out the back door and try to take in and perfectly memorize the view, the sounds, including the annoying neighbor’s dog that barked everyday at 3pm when the mailman would cross the lawns. I will miss the blueish glow coming from the darkened living room at 5am, when most of my world is sleeping because you are awake and 15 hours ahead of me.  My heart aches with homesickness even though I am still in my house.  I will try to hold my head high and walk out this front door one last time.  Tomorrow is a big day for me. 

As I stare at the empty for corners, I question if I should look in the closet a fourth time just to make sure it was empty.  But I know I will just be trying to remember the winter’s coats that once hung there or your uniforms.  It is odd not to see your boots by the front door. The memories of the late night movies we watched and cuddled on the couch until I fell asleep, the pointless arguments these walls have witnessed that lead to nowhere.  That is what is hard to leave behind.

It may be weeks, months or tomorrow but the space we once occupied and called our home will just be a time capsule of memories within these walls.  Before long another family will occupy this same space and make this their home and build their own memories.  Our neighbors will move on and we will probably never cross paths again.  But we adjust, make new friends, create new memories, and move on.  Move on seems to be the common thing, but I am not sure that I can. 

Tomorrow is the day I will kiss the life I once knew goodbye, today is the day however I write this last entry in our notebook.  I close this chapter in my life and begin to start a new.  Tomorrow when I wake up my scenery will be different, as well as the smells and sounds that once surrounded me.  Though I am far from prepared to say goodbye, I do particularly miss the smells of sea salt and the sounds of the squawking seagulls.  The richness of that southern culture that brought us together.  It is what reminds me most of you which is was makes this transition harder but I cannot see myself going anywhere else.  But there is no place like home after all.  But it is my time to say goodbye, my time to start my new adventure. 

Tomorrow is never promised, tomorrow is a gift.  You of all people should know that.  So we should live everyday like it is our last.  Dance in the rain, sing like you are working towards your Grammy, love with all of your heart, forgive and forget because holding a grudge is never worth it.  Ill remember the conversations, the honesty and the laughter we have shared.  I will struggle to think about how much your friendship has meant to me over the years.  This is not a goodbye but a see you later.  At least that is what you told me before you deployed. 

To feel the warmth of your touch, the texture of your soft lips, to smell your stink when you came home from physical training is one thing I never thought I would miss, but I wish it was bottled for me to spray around my home.  But the memories of your love for me Is all I have.  Your book of adventures while we were apart to read over and over again and pretend I am there with you while you were writing.  But forever I must now live with you in memory. The one thing I never thought I would have to do in life is move on without you. 

I am sure there will be days when I will want to give up, there are days when I will want to stay in bed in vegetate, times when I blame myself and wonder what I did to deserve this.  Sometimes I just wish it was me and it was not you.  Why will always be that unanswered questions that I don’t think I will ever have an answer to.  One day I will be able to comfortably move on with my life, but I need to allow myself time to heal.  One day I will be okay and be able to function normally but right now is not that time.  My world is not right with you not here with me.  I miss you!


When the wind blows I feel your comforting spirit, when the sun shines I feel your warmth, when it rains I know you are with me.  But until we meet again this is what I have.  This is the beginning to the new chapter of my life.  You have taught me many life lessons, you have taught me to forget that I have learned a lot, that there is no studying for or preparing for the real lessons in life.  Everyday there will be a test.  It is OK to feel pain, to allow the world to break your heart, to see sadness that will deeply move your tears.  Change it, and don’t ever think that you cannot make a difference.  Adversity when embraced with open arms is the one thing that builds strength, endurance and resilience and you taught me one of the greatest lessons of all, know the gift of believing in someone completely.  Because of you I will always glow, shine and sparkle and let the world see my light as you seen my light.  You have encouraged me to change the world.

1 comment:

  1. I hate reading and i loved it! I will be buying a copy!!!:) Congrats!! I'm so excited for you!!
    Love,
    Leilani

    ReplyDelete